Kapustnica is a very healthy, rich and thick soup, which makes you feel satisfied.
It is a traditional Slovak Christmas meal, but you can cook it anytime throughout the year.
I’m always happy when I’m cooking it, because I know whole family will gather, which is always nice, peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
- 1 cup Dried mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups Homemade sauerkraut, chopped
- 1 cup Liquid from Sauerkraut
- 4 Smoked sausages (different kinds)
- 1/2 kg Smoked pork ribs (with meat)
- 10 Dried plums / prunes, seedless
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Pastry flour / soft flour
- Ground black pepper
- Rinse the mushrooms in a cold water.
- Put the mushrooms into a bowl and cover them with fresh clean cold water. Let them rest for a 1 hour.
- Prepare a large (4-5l) pot for cooking the soup.
- Add sauerkraut, liquid from sauerkraut and 3 liters of cold water into the pot.
- When it starts to boil, add sausages, pork ribs, prunes and the mushrooms together with the water into the pot. Cook it for 1,5 hour.
- Take out the sausages and pork ribs from the pot. Let them cool a little bit. Cut the sausages. Trim off the meat from ribs. Cut the meat as well.
- If a lot of water has evaporated from the pot, pour in boiling water until it will reach the same level as in the beginning.
- Mix the egg, flour, 1 tbsp of lukewarm water, salt and black pepper (according to taste) in a small bowl. Make a potato dumplings called Halusky according to my recipe, but don’t use another pot with water, make them directly into the one you are already using for cooking.
- After the halusky are done, add the sausages and the meat back into the pot.
- Season with a salt and ground black pepper according to your taste and preferences.